Monday, December 16, 2013

LONG OVERDUE REVIEW of BLACKMOORE by Julianne Donaldson


Description and Picture taken from GoodReads

Description:
Kate Worthington knows her heart and she knows she will never marry. Her plan is to travel to India instead—if only to find peace for her restless spirit and to escape the family she abhors. But Kate’s meddlesome mother has other plans. She makes a bargain with Kate: India, yes, but only after Kate has secured—and rejected—three marriage proposals.

Kate journeys to the stately manor of Blackmoore determined to fulfill her end of the bargain and enlists the help of her dearest childhood friend, Henry Delafield. But when it comes to matters of love, bargains are meaningless and plans are changeable. There on the wild lands of Blackmoore, Kate must face the truth that has kept her heart captive. Will the proposal she is determined to reject actually be the one thing that will set her heart free?

Set in Northern England in 1820, Blackmoore is a Regency romance that tells the story of a young woman struggling to learn how to follow her heart. It is Wuthering Heights meets Little Women with a delicious must-read twist.

My Review / Thoughts:


I LOVE, LOVE, LOVED this book!!! 
I was a little nervous to read this book, because I had just finished a book ( from another author) that was a historical romance that absolutely ruined me from reading historical romances.  Every time I picked one up, I would read about three pages in and think, "I cannot do this again" and put it down.  I had read Julianne Donaldson's Edenbrooke and absolutely loved it, so I was fairly certain that this book would be just as fabulous, and it was!!!!

I do not think there is one thing in this book that I didn't like.  It grabbed me from the beginning to the very end.  I absolutely adored the MC Kate Worthington.  

Kate had to deal with a mother and sister who were willing to do whatever it took to gain a "station" in life with a man.  Henry, her childhood friend was such a fabulous character, and I loved him from the moment he was introduced.  He also had to deal with a bothersome mother who was bent on keeping things "proper".  Never seeing Kate for who she really was.
When Kate and Henry come up with a plan to secure three proposals, so that Kate can travel to India, our eyes are opened to all the things that Kate has had to go through in her life.  She is confronted with the knowledge that Henry's mother will never approve of her, and why.  It's heart breaking, and wonderful all at the same time.  The friendship that Kate and Henry has is a beautiful thing.

My heart was aching during the whole book as I could see the anguish Henry felt every time he had to "propose" to Kate so that she could meet her 3 proposal requirement.  This book was emotionally intense for me.  I could see what was happening like I was watching a movie, and the whole time I just wanted to scream at Kate, and tell her to "open her eyes"...Unfortunately, like a TV, a book cannot respond...hehehe!  I think that is what kept me reading.  I had to "know" if she finally opens her eyes to what is right in front of her.

I could go on and on, but I don't want to give too much away.  If you like historical romance, this is such a great book for you!  

I actually had the chance to meet Julianne Donaldson at a book signing, and will blog about that soon.  She has such a great sense of humor, and that shows in her writing.  
It is thanks to Julianne Donaldson that I can pick up a historical romance again, and read it.  

My Rating:






4 comments:

  1. I love a good historical every now and then and I will have to keep this one in mind. I am glad it was able to get the bad taste of the last one you read out of your mouth (mind)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I got the bad taste out of my mind also! Historical romance is one of my favorite things to read!

      Delete
  2. It was so good. I'll definitely be re-reading it multiple times in the future. These are the best kinds of books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Macey won a copy of the audiobook so I am excited to just put it in the car and listen to it again! I loved this story!

      Delete