Friday, January 29, 2016

AUDIO BOOK REVIEW FOR: UNSOULED - BOOK 3 IN THE UNWIND DYSTOLOGY - BY: NEAL SHUSTERMAN

pic and description taken from Amazon.com


DESCRIPTION:

The story that began with Unwind continues.
Connor and Lev are on the run after the destruction of the Graveyard, the last safe haven for AWOL Unwinds. But for the first time, they're not just running away from something. This time, they're running toward answers, in the form of a woman Proactive Citizenry has tried to erase from history itself. If they can find her, and learn why the shadowy figures behind unwinding are so afraid of her, they may discover the key to bringing down unwinding forever.
Cam, the rewound boy, is plotting to take down the organization that created him. Because he knows that if he can bring Proactive Citizenry to its knees, it will show Risa how he truly feels about her. And without Risa, Cam is having trouble remembering what it feels like to be human.
With the Juvenile Authority and vindictive parts pirates hunting them, the paths of Connor, Lev, Cam, and Risa will converge explosively - and everyone will be changed.

MY REVIEW / THOUGHTS:
Let me start by saying that I have been on hiatus from the blogging world for a while.  I was getting overwhelmed with how many reviews I had coming up, so I decided it was time to change priorities.  I don't want reading to ever become a "chore", so I have decided to cut way back this year and read books that have been sitting on my shelves, kindle, and audible.  It has been so much fun.

Now onto the one and only Neal Shusterman.  I love his books.  I had taken a long break from this series and decided now was a great time to finish it.  Plus I know if it is a Neal Shusterman book it is going to be fabulous.
I have been very fortunate in my pick of books lately.  I loved the first two books in this series, and yet again I find this series getting better and better.  The thought that went into writing a book about "unwinding" is brilliant.  Okay, maybe a little crazy, but I think the two (brilliance and crazy) often work together :).
I was so excited to be reunited with Connor, Risa, Cam, Lev, and now Grace.  So many wonderful characters.
After the Graveyard is destroyed Connor and Lev run from the Juvenile Authority and the Proactive Citizenry.  While on the run we find that the people they encounter and the people from their pasts are often inter connected.  It's amazing how Shusterman finds a way to make all the characters connect.  Either though knowing them, or having them be "part" of them.

While Cam, Lev, Grace, and Risa makes plans to take down Proactive Citizenry, they find safe haven in a woman's basement.  There is far more to this woman than anyone knows.  Conner had previously found sanctuary in this particular safe haven....but this time there is information there that they desperately need to bring down the Proactive Citizenry.

We are introduced to new characters in this book as well, and they are of course fabulous.  While Connor and his gang are trying to avoid being unwound, there is a parts pirate that has it out for Connor.  Connor may have taken him down when he was a cop....but now that he is a parts pirate he no longer follows the law, which makes him dangerous.

One of the new characters, Grace, had turned out to be one of my favorites.  She cannot be unwound because she is considered "low cortical".  If Grace is "low cortical", then I must be "critically low cortical"..hehe.  She is such a great character.  I love how her brain works, and how she comes off as "not smart" she is probably smarter than any other character.

This book left with a cliffhanger, but thankfully they are all out so I was able to move right on to the next book in the series.  i don't think you will be disappointed in this series at all.  Its a little twisted, but a lot fantastic. :).  Get yourselves involved with the Unwind series.  You will be happy you did :).

Source:  I bought this audio book for myself.  I was not compensated in any way for this review.  These are my own PERSONAL thoughts on the book.

MY RATING:


WHERE TO BUY:

    

ABOUT THE AMAZING AUTHOR:

Neal Shusterman

Award-winning author Neal Shusterman grew up in Brooklyn, New York, where he began writing at an early age. After spending his junior and senior years of high school at the American School of Mexico City, Neal went on to UC Irvine, where he made his mark on the UCI swim team, and wrote a successful humor column. Within a year of graduating, he had his first book deal, and was hired to write a movie script.

In the years since, Neal has made his mark as a successful novelist, screenwriter, and television writer. As a full-time writer, he claims to be his own hardest task-master, always at work creating new stories to tell. His books have received many awards from organizations such as the International Reading Association, and the American Library Association, as well as garnering a myriad of state and local awards across the country. Neal's talents range from film directing (two short films he directed won him the coveted CINE Golden Eagle Awards) to writing music and stage plays – including book and lyrical contributions to “American Twistory,” which is currently playing in Boston. He has even tried his hand at creating Games, having developed three successful "How to Host a Mystery" game for teens, as well as seven "How to Host a Murder" games.

As a screen and TV writer, Neal has written for the "Goosebumps" and “Animorphs” TV series, and wrote the Disney Channel Original Movie “Pixel Perfect”. Currently Neal is adapting his novel Everlost as a feature film for Universal Studios.

Wherever Neal goes, he quickly earns a reputation as a storyteller and dynamic speaker. Much of his fiction is traceable back to stories he tells to large audiences of children and teenagers -- such as his novel The Eyes of Kid Midas. As a speaker, Neal is in constant demand at schools and conferences. Degrees in both psychology and drama give Neal a unique approach to writing. Neal's novels always deal with topics that appeal to adults as well as teens, weaving true-to-life characters into sensitive and riveting issues, and binding it all together with a unique and entertaining sense of humor.




4 comments:

  1. I've never read this author but I like how unique his stories always sound and I have to admit, that cover creeps me out for some reason but at the same time, it makes me want to read it LOL!

    Glad you are focusing on your TBR shelf, I plan on doing a lot of that this year as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE Neal Shusterman! Plus I love the narrator of these books as well! Shustermans writing is amazing!

      Delete
  2. Why have I not read this series? I love dystopian. I will check out book one on audio!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do Kim. I think you would like this series :)

      Delete